1.0 FTE Permanent Position
Reference ID: MHT20210504
The Mental Health Therapist’s primary function is to deliver patient-centered care through both individual and group settings through the use of clinical counselling and education sessions. Sessions will address mental, emotional, and/or social functioning. The mental health therapist will take a collaborative approach by working with other members of the PCN Team. This is a 1.0 FTE permanent position which may provide service to both the Primary Care Support Program and the Persistent Pain Program.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide appropriate mental health and/or counselling services based on evidence-based practice standards
- Intake screening and preliminary assessment including referrals, provisional diagnoses, consultation, and liaising with PCN providers,
- family physicians, community partners and psychiatry as needed.
- Utilize clinical tools to assess and measure patient progress
- Establish treatment goals, priorities and plans
- Communicate with physicians and other healthcare professionals regarding patients’ needs and progress
- Measure clients’ progress regularly and adjust treatment accordingly
- Lead patient education programs (e.g., depression or anxiety groups).
- Participate in interdisciplinary treatment planning and patient conferences by providing the clinical team with current information regarding professional clinical observations
- Provide a seamless transition to Addictions and Mental Health if required
- Assist with program development and implementation aligning with best practices
- Ensure the maintenance of accurate records in line with practice policy
- Assist in developing and implementing patient self-management programs
- Ensure continuity of service/care by liaising and collaborating with other providers and referring patients to appropriate programs, services and agencies
- Participates in program development and quality improvement activities
- Maintain professional requirements and ongoing active participation in professional development
- Maintain current knowledge and skills in clinical practice
- Offer training support to other team members and assist in their professional development
- Act as a resource to other PCN staff
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Fluency in English language (written and verbal).
- Computer skills: email, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, data entry, scheduling
- Ability to maintain accurate records in line with practice policy
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with and understand individual patient needs
- Group therapy/teaching skills
- Ability to assess individual’s behaviour health needs.
- Skills in providing CBT to assist patients in meeting behaviour health needs
- Ability to assess and manage patients in crisis.
- Awareness of social determinants of health and principles of self-management
- Ability to develop new skills and apply theory to practice
- Registration with applicable regulating body/association.
- Master’s level degree in Psychology or Social Work with clinical designation
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a community based mental health setting
- Experience working in a patient care team preferred
- Experience coordinating, leading and facilitating patient treatment groups considered an asset
- Previous use of an electronic medical record system considered an asset
To apply for this position, email your cover letter, resume, and professional references to email@example.com.
The Grande Prairie PCN thanks you for your interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.