0.5 to 1.0 FTE Permanent Position
Reference ID: MHT20220606
The Grande Prairie Primary Care Network, in beautiful Grande Prairie, Alberta – a city rich in cultural and economic opportunities, and a great place to raise a family – was formed in 2010 to work with local primary care physicians in the delivery of primary healthcare services. The PCN provides innovative and collaborative initiatives that improve communication, increase coordination of services, and enhance medical clinic practices to better meet the needs of the community.
The Mental Health Therapist’s primary function is to deliver patient-centered care through both individual and group settings through the use of clinical counselling and education sessions. Sessions will address mental, emotional, and/or social functioning. The mental health therapist will take a collaborative approach by working with other members of the PCN Team. This is a 0.5 to 1.0 FTE permanent position which may provide service to both the Primary Care Support Program and the Persistent Pain Program.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide appropriate mental health and/or counselling services based on evidence-based practice standards
- Intake screening and preliminary assessment including referrals, provisional diagnoses, consultation, and liaising with PCN providers,
- family physicians, community partners and psychiatry as needed.
- Utilize clinical tools to assess and measure patient progress
- Establish treatment goals, priorities and plans
- Communicate with physicians and other healthcare professionals regarding patients’ needs and progress
- Measure clients’ progress regularly and adjust treatment accordingly
- Lead patient education programs (e.g., depression or anxiety groups).
- Participate in interdisciplinary treatment planning and patient conferences by providing the clinical team with current information regarding professional clinical observations
- Provide a seamless transition to Addictions and Mental Health if required
- Assist with program development and implementation aligning with best practices
- Ensure the maintenance of accurate records in line with practice policy
- Assist in developing and implementing patient self-management programs
- Ensure continuity of service/care by liaising and collaborating with other providers and referring patients to appropriate programs, services and agencies
- Participates in program development and quality improvement activities
- Maintain professional requirements and ongoing active participation in professional development
- Maintain current knowledge and skills in clinical practice
- Offer training support to other team members and assist in their professional development
- Act as a resource to other PCN staff
Required Skills & Abilities
- Fluency in English language (written and verbal).
- Computer skills: email, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, data entry, scheduling
- Ability to maintain accurate records in line with practice policy
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with and understand individual patient needs
- Group therapy/teaching skills
- Ability to assess individual’s behaviour health needs.
- Skills in providing CBT to assist patients in meeting behaviour health needs
- Ability to assess and manage patients in crisis.
- Awareness of social determinants of health and principles of self-management
- Ability to develop new skills and apply theory to practice
- Registration with applicable regulating body/association.
- Master’s level degree in Psychology or Social Work with clinical designation
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a community based mental health setting
- Experience working in a patient care team preferred
- Experience coordinating, leading and facilitating patient treatment groups considered an asset
- Previous use of an electronic medical record system considered an asset
To apply for this position, email your cover letter, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Grande Prairie PCN thanks you for your interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.